Saturday, August 13, 2011

Dil Dil Pakistan


So it was Pakistan's independence day yesterday.... Woohoo Go Pakistan, 1947-2011, baby. Rockstars. Ahhh but please keep it together so it can be a couple more decades, eh?

On a serious note, I guess it would be really easy to take a few minutes and start bashing the existence of pakiland and it's current state but for some odd reason i really don't feel like doing that. I know enough to really get me worried for the sanctity of this beloved country of mine but just for now i would like to ignore all that and concentrate on all that makes me proud of being a Pakistani.

My fondest memories of 14th august are of the few years we spent living next to my paternal grandmother's place in Wahh Cantt. I distinctly remember preparing for independence day in advance with my aunts and older cousin, buying large flags and bunting to decorate the house. I remember feeling so proud of my cousin because he was old enough to take part in the firework display on our street. I remember seeing green everywhere and every one's happy and pride filled faces. I remember making independence day cards at school. I remember the national anthem being repeatedly played on the TV and the patriotic national songs, ohh i used to love those, i still get the strongest sense of nostalgia whenever i hear one playing somewhere.

It's strange but having only lived the first 10 years of my life in Pakistan, it still feels more home than most other places i have lived. I miss Pakistan a lot and its such a blessing that hubby dearest also spent the first ten years of his life in Pakistan, because it means we can reminisce together and drag each other in and out of deep nostalgic trances.

There are a million things i miss about Pakistan and our short trips back home don't give us the chance to relive those. It's probably a blessing, because i am sure that childhood experiences are too pure and precious to be relived again. However, even though thinking of Pakistan and all that it means to me brings bitter sweet memories flooding back and plants a huge smile on my face, there is one aspect of it all that makes me quite sad. I just find it such a loss that all that all the cultural experiences i am able to share with my loved ones, i will not be able to share with my daughter. To Aaminah Pakistan will never hold the same meaning as it did for me... However, i do hope to teach her and show her what a great country her parents came from and why all the sacrifices our forefather made sixty four years ago, were well worth it. I hope that she is able to grow up and feel a sense of belonging to a country that gave me an identity to be proud of.

Finally, lots and lots of duas for the sovereignty of this beloved country that didn't come cheap 64 years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment